Our dedicated registered nurses are responsible for the following skilled nursing services:
- Arranging consultations with other members of the home healthcare team, such as physical, occupational and speech therapists as well as medical social workers.
- Monitoring vital signs, medication and special diet needs.
- On-going physician consultations to keep them up-to-date on any patient changes and to consult on patient matters as it pertains to their home care service plan.
- Providing care and educating patients in how to care for and manage diabetes, stroke, heart and respiratory conditions, as well as ostomies and catheters.
- Wound care to help resolve complications caused by hard to heal wounds.
Skilled Nursing Specialty Programs
Due to health care industry changes, patients are more likely to be discharged from hospitals and nursing homes earlier than in prior years. In today’s managed care environment, home care and specialized care go hand-in-hand to provide patients with a wider array of medical services. Visiting Nurse & Health Services of Connecticut provides specialized skilled nursing services in:
- Diabetes Management
Specially trained nurses are trained to assist patients maximize their quality of life and help them to live comfortable and productive lives by incorporating nutrition counseling and diabetes education.
- Home Care Aides
Under the supervision of a nurse, home care aides serve patients on a day-to-day basis and provide personal care, exercise, meal preparation and light housekeeping.
For acute and chronically ill patients, homemaker and companion services are also available to contribute more in-depth services.
- Medical Social Workers
Social workers provide counseling to patients and their loved ones to alleviate the emotional stress of illness or injury. Social Workers share information on local services, help with obtaining financial assistance for healthcare expenses and assist in finding alternate living arrangements, such as nursing homes or assisted living.
- Rehabilitation Therapy Services
Our rehabilitation services are comprised of physical, occupational, speech and language therapies administered in each patient’s home. Licensed therapists work with patients to develop a treatment plan designed to achieve maximum functional independence. Depending on the nature of their diagnosis, patients may require an integration of rehabilitation services.
- Wound and Ostomy Care
This program focuses on the complex nursing needs of patients with serious wounds and those having major bladder or intestinal surgery such as colostomies, ileostomies and urinary ostomies. Specialized medical assistance is provided to help patients with wound care, dressing changes and ostomy appliance changes, as well as psychological and educational support.