ECHN’s Diabetes Self-Management Program began in 1993 with the goal to help individuals manage their diabetes day to day through diet, exercise, medication management and education. Our certified diabetes educators work on-on-one with patients to create a personalized self-management plan to meet the various needs and lifestyles with the goal of long-term behavioral knowledge control. This program consists of small classes and individual appointments with a dietitian, a podiatrist and a nurse educator.
Managing diabetes can be complex, and education is an important part of the equation. Our trained diabetes educators will help you learn how to manage your diabetes and be as healthy as possible by focusing on seven self-care behaviors: healthy eating, being active, monitoring, taking medication, problem solving, healthy coping and reducing risks.
Diabetes educators use a variety of educational methods, hands-on charts, videos and informational tools to help you:
- Understand exactly what diabetes is and how it affects the body
- Understand how diabetes medications work to lower blood glucose
- Learn about the importance of healthy eating and how to plan meals
- Determine which glucose monitoring device will work best for them and train them on how to use it
- Learn how to use apps and other tools to track their progress
- Use skills that can help them cope with stress and solve problems as they arise
In addition to the core self-management programs, we provide individual self-management training, medical nutrition therapy and support groups to help support you on your journey. These include:
- How to use your diabetic devices, such as blood glucose meters, insulin pens, insulin pumps and continuous glucose meters
- How to adapt healthy eating habits and figure out a meal plan that works for you
- How to develop problem solving strategies and skills to self-manage your diabetes
- How to monitor blood glucose and learn how to interpret and appropriately respond to results
- Understand how medications work
- Learn how to properly inject insulin or other diabetes injectables
- Nutrition refreshers
- Advanced carbohydrate counting, with matching your insulin to carbohydrates
- Sweet Talk monthly support group
And much more!