Physicians, Midwives and Doulas
There are a number of professionals available to assist with your prenatal and childbirth experience including obstetrician/gynecologists (OB/GYNs), midwives and doulas.
OB/GYNs at ECHN
An OB/GYNs is a physician who has successfully completed specialized education and training in the medical and surgical management of pregnancy, labor, and the period of time directly following childbirth. See the OB/GYNs on ECHN's active medical staff.
Midwives at ECHN
A certified nurse midwife (CNM) is an obstetrics professional who supports healthy women during pregnancy and delivery. In addition, CNMs offer health care services to women of all ages and stages of life.
The certified nurse midwives credentialed through ECHN as allied health professionals are:
- Maura Aaberg, CNM - OB/GYN Group of Eastern Connecticut, PC - 860.646.1157
- Suzanne Barton, CNM - With Women Wellness, LLC - 888.607.0046
- Amy Smith-Bassett, CNM - With Women Wellness, LLC - 888.607.0046
- Mary Guinan, CNM - Manchester OB/GYN Associates, PC - 860.649.1120
- Michelle Killingsworth, CNM - With Women Wellness, LLC - 888.607.0046
- Jennifer Loomer, CNM - Manchester OB/GYN Associates, PC - 860.649.1120
- Aron Mavros, CNM - Manchester OB/GYN Associates, PC - 860649.1120
- Jaime Records, CNM - Manchester OB/GYN Associates, PC - 860.649.1120
- Stephanie Welsh, CNM - Mansfield OB/GYN Associates - 860.450.7227
Doulas at ECHN
A birth doula is a woman experienced in childbirth who supports the mother before, during and just after childbirth by providing physical and emotional support and information. The use of a doula on labor and early parenting has been shown to decrease certain interventions, shorten labor and reduce cesareans.
The ECHN Preferred Doula Program provides doula services to women who want or need additional support during their pregnancy, birth and postpartum period. Our professional staff of doulas hold and maintain current certifications with various organizations such as DONA, ICEA, CAPPA and ALACE (toLabor). Within the doula network at ECHN, we provide support and back-up coverage for each other. All ECHN Preferred Doulas are insured and up-to-date with hospital protocols for safety, policies and procedures. After interviewing with the program coordinator you will be carefully matched with one of our experienced doulas. Fee for the service is $850.
ECHN's Doula Policy requires all Birth Doulas practicing at the Family Birthing Center to be certified, insured and listed on our approved internal registry. If you are looking to hire a doula outside our Preferred Doula Program ,please be certain that your independent doula is certified, insured and listed on our registry. If you or your independent doula has any questions about the registry, please contact the program coordinator at 860.647.4790.
For more information on ECHN's Doula Program, please call Betsy Crayton, Perinatal Education Coordinator, at 860.647.4790 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.