Diabetes Self-Management Program
ECHN offers a highly regarded Diabetes Self-Management Program that can help you manage your diabetes day to day. ECHN’s program has been recognized for excellence by the American Diabetes Association repeatedly since 1996 and has been honored by the American Diabetes Association as one of its “most influential partners” in the fight against diabetes throughout Connecticut.
The goal is to help individuals control their diabetes and improve their health through education, diet, exercise and/or medication. Patients are encouraged to attend classes when first diagnosed and to return for support and follow-up periodically to help maintain long-term control.
Group classes are offered at Manchester Memorial Hospital at 9:30 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. Medicare and most commercial insurances cover the cost of the program and a loved one is always welcome to attend at no extra charge. Call 860.647.6824, Monday through Friday, to speak to a staff member about the services offered.
- Group classes (recommended for newly diagnosed diabetics)
- Individual (one-on-one) classes
- Individual counseling for gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy)
- Individual basic and advanced Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Individual basic and advanced instruction on using insulin
- Review sessions
- Prediabetes classes
- Stress management workshop (free)
- Cooking demonstrations ($10 per person)
- Diabetic foot screening
- Sweet Talk (free monthly support group, call Marie at 860.569.6436 for information).
We are happy to answer any questions and can help with obtaining a written referral from your primary care provider. Or you can bring the referral to your next doctor’s appointment.
Other forms that can be downloaded and completed prior to attending classes: